Valentia Island (Irish: Dairbhre), also spelled Valencia Island, is one of Ireland's westernmost points, lying off the Iveragh Peninsula in the southwest of County Kerry, Ireland. It is part of the new Wild Atlantic Way coastal route. It is linked to the mainland by the Maurice O'Neill Memorial bridge at Portmagee, as well as by a car ferry which sails from Reenard Point to Knightstown, the island's main settlement. The permanent population of the island is 713 (CSO 2006), and the island is approximately 11 kilometres (6.8 mi) long by almost 3 kilometres (1.9 mi) wide. Valentia was the eastern terminus of the first commercially viable transatlantic telegraph cable. The first attempt in 1857 to land a cable from Ballycarbery Strand on the mainland just east of Valentia Island ended in disappointment. After subsequent failures of cables landed at Knightstown in 1858 and Foilhommerum Bay in 1865, the vast endeavor finally resulted in commercially viable transatlantic telegraph communications from Foilhommerum Bay to Heart's Content, Newfoundland in 1866. Transatlantic telegraph cables operated from Valentia Island for one hundred years, ending with Western Union International terminating its cable operations in 1966.
Cromwell lighthouse on Valentia island on the Wild Atlantic WaySunrise on Valentia islandDerelict cottage on Valentia island on the Ring of KerrySunset on Valentia islandView from summit of Geokaun mountain on Valentia islandValentia island houseBray Head and flowersSunrise over Valentia island lighthouse on the Ring of KerryKnightstown on Valentia island in KerryViews over to the Skelligs from Valentia islandSunset over Valentia islandAbandoned cottage ruin on Valentia islandClock on Valentia island on the Ring of KerryView towards Puffin island from Valentia islandDerelict cottage on Valentia island on the Ring of KerrySunset on Valentia island on the Ring of KerryValentia island lighthouseThe lighthouse on Valentia islandDawn colours on Valentia island on the Ring of KerrySummit of Geokaun mountain on Valentia island on the Ring of Kerry